Mommy and daddy wanted to say hi and catch you up on the past few days. We were going to write last night but didn't want to jinx the good day you were having. The last two and half days have been the best you've had in a long time. The doctors have been able to wean down your sleepy medicine some so you have been much more awake which is awesome. You still seem to get upset several times throughout the day but we have been able to calm you down without major issues or needing extra medicine. That is a huge accomplishment. Hopefully we will continue down this path of more happy time for Connor and less medicine. As the pharmacist said today, "It's going to be a long slow process to get rid of all the medicine," but don't worry we'll get there one of these days.
Another issue the doctors are still trying to sort out is why your heart rate has been dipping down low lately. I can't even believe I'm typing that since low has never been the end of the spectrum we have had to worry about. We thought we had it licked since you went the whole day without issues yesterday but last night it happened some more. The doctors feel very confident that it isn't a big concern because it only lasts a second and your body fixes it on it's own. Mommy would feel a little better if it didn't happen at all but I think I'll have to trust the doctors on this one. As one of our favorite doctors put it the other night, "your heart is rock solid."
Milkshake wise you are eating like a champ. They have increased the amount of milk you are receiving and are trying to give it to you over certain windows of time rather than continuously. If your little stomach can handle more food in a shorter time then we won't have to be hooked up to that pump all the time at home. Fingers crossed that your stomach is busy growing right now and this won't cause you a bit of a trouble. You have also been eating a little by mouth. The occupational and speech therapist have been giving you little bits of milk every day this week. You are really good at sucking through the nipple when they drop the milk in bit by bit but yesterday they tried a straight bottle and that was a little more difficult. It seems you get pretty excited and take a big drink but can't keep up with the swallowing. No worries little man these things take practice. After all no one expects you to be perfect right off the bat after not getting a shot at it for four months.
The last big issue for you to tackle is the breathing situation. Because you had such significant agitation for several days last week and then went to the other extreme and were zonked at the beginning of this week we haven't gotten to work on this much. As of now you are still hooked up to the ventilator but are doing the breathing on your own. The vent is giving you some extra pressure when you do breath to make sure your lungs open all the way up and don't close down too much between breaths. All of the doctors feel there is a good chance you should be able to come off the vent but no one has pulled the trigger to try yet. To be honest I think everyone has been so pleased to see you awake and happy that they don't want to rock the boat. I have a feeling this will be our focus for next week.
As another week passes we still have a lot of unknowns to sort out but there is one thing that is very clear....you get more adorable by the day. Since the day you were born you have been the cutest little boy I've ever seen but somehow you just keep getting more cute. You have been flashing your little smirk at all the nurses, doctors and therapists (and saving some big smiles for mommy and daddy). Sticking your tongue out, eating your fingers, dancing in your crib and even making your pouty face absolutely make mommy's day. I love you to pieces Connor and I hope and pray we are headed toward a lot more days like today.
P.S. This last one is mommy's new favorite picture :)
We love you Connor
-Mommy
5 comments:
I'm so glad he's been having some good days. I'm trying to remember back to Evie's NICU days and I think I recall her getting pretty ticked off at being trapped in a crib now that she could breathe. She just seemed...bored. Which was great and sad all at the same time. Evie also struggles with her heart rate dipping pretty low when she sleeps then popping up again. They say she has a 'high variability in heart rhythm', but so far we haven't found any reasons why. It is pretty nerve wracking, but it always pops back up. We've just had to set her pulse ox settings lower and lower which I hate, but we have no other options. Praying he can get off the vent soon and so happy he's been able to take some food by mouth. Awesome!
Oh! And he is soooo ridiculously cute!!!! Love seeing those bright eyes and little smile!
Hi Connor,
Just wanted to let you know I have been following you for quite a while now! I usually read your blog on my lunch breaks at work, and my silly work computer won't let me leave comments! But I'm at home right now and I was thinking about you, so I wanted to stop by and leave you a little note! You are such a strong and brave little boy and your mommy and daddy are so inspirational! Every time I see my little guy, I think of you, because his name is Connor too! I have really enjoyed reading all about you, and my heart aches everytime that roller coaster starts going down the hill, but then I just start praying and praying more and more! I'm so glad to see you're climbing again, and I'm loving all these pics of you happy and awake! I will say a prayer for you tonight Connor, like every other night, and I hope that tomorrow is a fantastic day full of fun and smiles with your mommy and daddy, and that the updates continue to be so upbeat! Love to you and your mommy and daddy!! May God bless you all!
Your friend,
Jessie
Hi Connor!
I have been following your story for quite a while now, almost since the beginning! I usually check for updates while I'm on my lunch break at work, but my silly work computer won't let me leave comments! But since I'm at home right now, and just put my own little Connor to bed, I was thinking of you and wanted to stop in and leave you a little note. Connor, you are such a strong, brave little guy and you are fighting like a champ! My heart stops every time that roller coaster gets to the top of that hill and starts going down, but it seems like you always bring it right back up and those are really awesome days! I'm so glad too see that it seems to be going up up up the last few days, and I hope it keeps going as high as the sky! I will say a prayer for you and your Mommy and Daddy tonight, just like every other night, and I'll check back in you tomorrow or Wednesday! I hope to keep on seeing more good news and absolutely adorable pics of you smiling and so alert! God bless you little buddy!!
Your friend,
Jessie
OOps! Didn't realize the first comment posted! Sorry! ;)
Post a Comment