Anyone who has ever moved knows it's a process. Although I'm not an expert I've moved a few times now but this certainly was the most interesting move to date. Thanks to your Gigi's hard work and supervision all of mommy and daddy's things were safely packed from Texas and stored surprising well for the past year. Mommy and daddy have had some good chuckles as we unpack boxes that are sometimes labeled in part english and part spanish and we've even found a few labeled with completely made up words. Always an adventure with us. So the moving of our stored belongings went relatively well and the new house was coming together well but still needed a very important persons stuff....yours.
Moving one little boy shouldn't be a big deal right? Wrong. Obviously you have a lot of stuff to move but mommy and daddy aren't afraid of a little packing and lifting. The tricky part of moving you little man was coordinating all the necessary parties. Mommy had to contact about 20 people to notify them that you would be changing your place of residence in order to get your supplies, therapy, insurance coverage etc. We had to keep all of your necessary supplies on hand until the actual time of moving. Amazingly things went off without a hitch. You woke up early and after finishing your morning routine said goodbye to the room you had called home for 3 months. While you hung out in the family room with Grandma and your nurse, mommy and Grandpa packed the rest of your room. In the meantime daddy finished work and then enlisted the help of uncle Sebastian and Jamie to help move what was left. Mommy stayed at the new house and got your room set up perfectly while daddy and the boys moved more of the stuff we had accumulated at Grandma and Grandpa's. Grandpa was in charge of all the power strips and safety features for your equipment. Right on cue your awesome equipment company came and moved your oxygen since we aren't allowed to transport that. Lastly mommy and daddy came back to Grandma and Grandpa's for the most important piece of cargo....YOU!
We all ate dinner at the new house and carried out your nightly routine. You were surprisingly calm with the transition and seem to like your new room almost as much as the room you had at Grandma and Grandpa's. That night you slept like a baby (sorry I couldn't resist). Mommy and daddy didn't quite know what to do having our own bed for the first time in eleven months. I'd like to say I truly enjoyed that night of sleep but to be honest I think I just passed out from exhaustion. It took a few days to work out all the little bugs and get into a grove but you were a champ and didn't miss a beat. To be honest the transition was initially probably a little harder on mommy than you. Mommy was very excited to have her own stuff and some space to call her own but she missed some very special people.
Grandma and Grandpa literally transformed their house, changed their routine and all but put their lives on hold for the past three months. Mommy and daddy will never be able to thank them enough. We took over more than half of their house and not only brought ourselves but your nurses, therapists, case managers and countless strangers. We changed when and what they ate, what time they went to bed and got up, and recruited them for endless jobs, appointments and "training sessions". I do not know if we could have survived without their help and support. I know they truly enjoyed having the three of us there (especially you) but I have to imagine they will be a little happy to get their house and life back to normal. Connor I hope you know how much they love you and how lucky you are to have them in your life.
There was one other very special "person" we had to leave behind during the move. Your puppy Lexi wasn't allowed to come live with us in the rental house. Mommy and daddy tried to negotiate this but we weren't able to get approval for a pet. This absolutely breaks mommy's heart. In fact I am tearing up thinking about leaving my first baby behind. I know that she will be taken care of and spoiled beyond belief with Grandman and Grandpa but it made my heart smile so big to watch you and Lexi together. I will never forget the first time she barked and you jerked your head to see what it was. That was the first big response to sound that mommy and daddy had seen from you. It was amazing how Lexi immediately was cautious of all your tubes and wires. She was extremely protective and everytime it stormed she circled wherever you were laying and would try to lick you as if she was telling you everything would be ok. You loved to reach out get kisses from her as well as a handful of fur. Lexi was gentle as could be and I'm pretty sure the only thing we would have had to worry about between you two was her stealing your squeaky toys. I promise buddy we will visit Lexi and you two can still play.
The new house is oddly quite. We don't get the phone calls that Grandma and Grandpa's house did or the likelihood of at least one conversation going on at all times . We don't know our neighbors yet and don't have lots of people dropping in like we sometimes did at Grandma and Grandpa's. We don't have the noise of Lexi barking or Ollie chasing things and running into walls (like I'm sure Gigi is experiencing right now). God bless Gigi for taking such good care of Ollie (I think Grandma and Grandpa may have gotten the easier end of the deal with Lexi). What we do have is our first home as a family. We have a place to start making memories with just the three of us. A place to find our new normal. This is a big next step for us and mommy and daddy couldn't be more excited. In fact so many times during the past year it felt like we would never reach this point. Thanks for being a trooper even if you were a little bored by the fact that you only had mommy and daddy to entertain you after the move. Luckily it was only a few days before two very special visitors arrived.........
Daddy is going to write you a note about that next!
We love you Connor.
-Mommy
1 comment:
I didn't know you have a sheltie! I grew up with shelties. :) Glad the move went so smoothly!
Post a Comment