Sunday, September 30, 2012

Better by the minute...

Connor -

So I sit here tonight and look over the edge of your crib watching as you blow little spit bubbles in the air and I think to myself, "was I that awesome when I was a little kid? Man I doubt it". 

But the fact of the matter is, if you had asked your Pappaw or your Gigi if I was I am guessing they might have told you that I was. What do they know right? Silly parents....

Today has been another long day, but a day of triumphs. I spent a good chunk of last night in what I will call a stress-induced coma but when I woke up your cardiologist was standing over you taking pictures and welcomed me with a smile and a pat on the back. He was even happier that I had slept than I was, and he was thrilled with how well you were doing. He took a few pictures of your strong little heart and told me how great you looked before he left to enjoy the rest of his weekend (yep, he came in on his own time during the weekend to see you). 

Your Gigi and Pappaw were there too, they stayed with you all night long watching as you threw fits when you were turned over or forced to take some medicine. They coddled you and sang to you and rubbed your little head until you were calm and quiet again. They told me how you just looked so much better and you had been playing with them all night long. Even through the sleep left over in my eyes I could see how much better you looked and it made my heart smile. 

Throughout the morning I talked with your doctors, or rather listened as they talked to me, and had one after the other give me encouraging news about you. The nurses were giggling when they looked at your test results and everyone was saying just how amazed they were at how well you were doing. I was a pretty proud dad standing there next to your crib while they showered you with praise. As the day went on the swelling in your little eyes and face went down and the handsome little man with blue eyes and a head full of hair really began to shine. 

Your mommy stopped by with Grandma and Grandpa after lunch and let me tell you, they were beyond thrilled with you and how much better you looked than the day before. Your Grandpa doesn't come out much but you were just too special to pass up, he couldn't stay away. Now I have to take a minute here to tell you just how amazing your mommy looked when she came in, as beautiful as the day I met her and glowing with the light of motherhood in her eyes. She is a pretty special lady, you are lucky to have her on your team. And when your mommy stood up and said your name your head popped up and your hands started to shake and you knew who she was. She stood over you and talked to you for a long time, kissing your forehead, playing with your feet, doing all those things that mommies do. She has already started calling you "little man" and "buster", and I'm pretty sure that is because she knows you have some of that Durbin blood from your Pappaw's side in you and you will be ornery.  She stayed for quite a while and her and Grandma played with you the whole time while Grandpa watched with a twinkle in his eye that only Grandpa's have. 

After that your uncle Scooter and aunt Beth stopped by to say hello to their favorite nephew and you decided to put on a little bit of a show for them. You were dancing around and flashing those baby blue's like a movie star inside that little crib of yours, bringing out "ooh's" and "ah's" from all of us. I'm pretty sure that if your uncle hadn't put a ring on the finger of your aunt a week ago he would have been looking at some stiff competition staring him down from below. Already a ladies man, not sure if I'm proud or terrified, but I know your mom is terrified. So they told you they loved you as well (noticing a theme here?) and took off to hug on your mommy too. 

At the end of the night as your Gigi and I sat here and watched you settle in after another fit for turning you over we looked at all the pictures of you from the last 24 hours (yeah, there actually were enough to use the phrase "all of the") and we couldn't help but be amazed at just how much you have changed in just a day. Every time we pulled back your little blanket it was like opening a new present on Christmas, you were getting better and better with every passing minute. 

You are barely more than a day old son, and yet you are impressing me like no one else can. Keep up the good work, we sure do love you. 

- Daddy

No comments: