Monday, October 1, 2012

My little hero...

Connor -

Well son, today was a long one. It was the kind of day that every parent hopes they never have to sit though, the kind that makes your heart stop, your stomach turn, and your eyes ache with the tears that won't stop. But today was also a day that as a parent I can stand proudly and say that my son was the toughest person in the room all day long.

Today started nice and slow, you were sleeping so peacefully and kicking with the dreams bouncing around in your head, it was adorable. Around 6 this morning the doctors started showing up though, and they kept right on coming for more than 12 hours. First it was the fellow assigned to your case, he was helpful and courteous and all of those things that he should be and it was a good start to the day. After him it was the surgical team making their rounds and giving you a quick once over to check on things. You were still sleeping like a bump on a log, much like your exhausted Gigi. She has needed it though, she went though a lot to be here to see you and even more to make sure your daddy was able to sleep your first night here. We all owe her a big hug a million times over.

After Gigi woke up we had some breakfast and the doctors started rolling through. Next it was the cardiology team making rounds. They were thorough and encouraging but made sure that anyone and everyone who might be able to help out with an opinion on your situation would be coming to see you today.
Shortly after that your mommy showed up and let me tell you boy, there couldn't have been a happier person in the world to see you and those bright blue eyes of yours. Shortly after that the Urology team showed up and did some tests, then the Neurology team did some tests, then Neonatology showed up for a few tests, then the Genetics team took some measurements, then the Urology team came back to do a procedure (I'll get to that in a bit), then it was the Nephrology team with their tests, then you got an abdominal ultrasound, then the Neurology team came back with some thoughts, then it was an X-ray. I'm tired from just typing all of that so I'm sure you can imagine how you were feeling.

I will say, with all of that going on you still managed to be a trooper and barely whined or made a fuss at all, no matter what those doctors did you just scrunched your face a little and took it. Even when the Urologist came back and put that catheter in you toughed it out with barely a wimper (the whole time I was crossing my legs and trying not to pass out from imagining the pain you were feeling). It wasn't until the end of the day when we were trying our best to get you all situated for some rest that you had finally had enough and we could tell you were "done with everything to do with tests" as your aunt Beth my say. You were courageous though, quite the tough guy. You made your parents very proud again.

So tomorrow we will find out what all those doctors and all those tests have to say about you and how you are doing but for now Gigi and I are watching you sleep with the peace that comes from being exhausted. You know what though.... you aren't too tired to hold onto a finger or two though :)

Before I sign off here for the day I have to tell you a few things:
1) Your mommy and I LOVE you
2) Your grandparents LOVE you
3) People you don't even know yet LOVE you
4) You are making this world a better place every day you are here
5) You may have just made it up there with mommy at the top of my list of heroes

Connor, my dear boy, you and your courage are enough to write novels about, you are truly a hero to your daddy, I am so proud of you.

- Daddy

No comments: