Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Mommy's new man

Hi Conner,

It's mommy.  I'm not always the best with computers but for you I will learn about this blog stuff.  Sorry I haven't been able to write you yet but luckily you have the best dad in the world and he has it under control.  I have so much to tell you that I don't even know where to start.

Let me briefly tell you about the most amazing day of my life, September 29th.  I tried so hard to keep you inside so you could grow bigger but you had other plans.  Once the doctors realized that your strong-will was more powerful than all of their fancy medicines they decided it was best to welcome you to the world.  Mommy was scared at first but within minutes of stopping some of those yucky medicines you were doing gymnastics inside my belly almost as if you knew what was coming and couldn't be happier.  After I felt your celebration I was at ease and knew you were ready. 

We knew that when you arrived you would be special and mommy was worried that the right people might not be in place to take care of you since it was a weekend but God was looking out for us.  God lined up what I call our "Dream Team."  Mommy's favorite doctor delivered you (Dr. Habli) and said she was honored to be there and she knew you were going to be an amazing boy.  Your rock star cardiologist was there (his first name is Peace which is pretty cool) and couldn't have been more reassuring.  Mommy's nurse Julie was amazing, the anesthesiologist was awesome, the NICU team was headed by one of the best doctors, ironically your admitting doctor at Children's was named Dr. Connor and your daddy was the best coach.  They told me we needed to get you out quick so I worked as hard as I could and in no time you were in my arms.  You did decide to come out sunny side up which was a surprise to everyone but I think you just wanted to see what was going on.

Instantly I was in love.  Although if I have to be honest I was in love long before you came out of my belly.  Your dad and I have wanted and waited for you for so long and we couldn't be more proud to call you our son.  I may have only gotten to hold you for a quick minute but it is a minute I will never forget.  You have the most adorable face and a full head of hair.  Simply perfect. You were such a trooper and hung on through all the poking and prodding while your daddy watched out for you and the doctors fixed up mommy.  Then off to Children's you and daddy went with a big piece of my heart.

You threw yourself a little welcome party when you arrived at Children's but luckily all the great doctors and nurses were able to get things under control.  Your Daddy, Pappaw, and Gigi were there to settle you in and take extra special care of you.  For that I can't say thank you enough to them.  Luckily my doctors broke a few rules and let grandma bring me over to see you that night.  You looked so peaceful and innocent resting in your crib.  You looked at me with a tired look that almost said "why was I in such a hurry to get here?"  I think you may have even been a little annoyed that I was the one that pushed you out of your cozy belly pool.  Daddy was definitely your security at this point.  You kept looking for him every time he talked and although some of the doctors think you might not be able to hear him I don't believe it.  The nurses let dad and I change your diaper and then unfortunately I had to go back to the hospital but I knew with your daddy there you were safe and sound.

I have to take a second to tell you about your daddy.  He has always been amazing in mommy's eyes but he reached a new level on your birthday.  Mommy couldn't have asked for a more supportive husband or a better daddy for her baby.  He was calm and reassuring for those scary days up until your entrance and just the coach I needed to get you here.  I will tell you that Daddy and I watched football right up until it was time to push you out so if you happen to be a football fanatic I won't be surprised.

Your Daddy has always said he doesn't like hospitals and isn't into all that medical stuff so it's pretty obvious that you mean the world to him because he has become an expert.  My heart swelled with pride when I walked in that morning after you were born and he was not only changing your diaper, calming you down, suctioning your nose, but explaining to the rounding doctors what your levels and vital signs had been the night before.  He has taught mommy what each monitor meant and what to watch for.  He is the first to swaddle you and make sure you're turned.  He sings to you, talks to you, plays you music, and can always calm you down when you're upset.  He's held your hand through countless tests and spends hour after hour bent over your crib.  Not only does he take amazing care of you but he somehow finds a way to take care of  Mommy too.  He is Mommy's rock.  He is my hero and I know yours too.

So with all that being said it's pretty obvious that Mommy loves Daddy with all her heart.  All of the her heart that is left after loving her new man...... Connor.

I love you little man.

Mommy
XOXO

No comments: