So that is probably a pretty weird title for a note to you from your mommy and daddy considering all three of us have been in hospitals for the last two weeks now, but I promise you it is more suiting than you could imagine. One of these days your mommy and daddy will take to you Kings Island and show you just how much fun you can have when you wait for a really long time for something that makes your stomach jump all over the place, only to do it again. Today was probably the biggest roller coaster yet, we had probably the best moments with you so far and we by far had some of the scariest moments as well. Apparently you thought it would be ok to show mommy and daddy your Halloween scare a few weeks early.
Well this morning started off pretty slow after an active night for you last night. Mommy and I were sipping coffee and trying to wake up when the doctors came by for rounds and told us that you were going to start breathing on your own today. You have had that yucky tube stuck in your mouth since day 1 and the doctors decided this morning that it was finally time to get that thing out. Mommy and I were scared but you showed us you were ready by pulling on that tube and coughing like the big boy you are. Yet again you reassured us when we needed it.
So then..... we waited, for a long time until the doctors were ready Then they came in with a few other people and before you knew it, "whoosh" and it was gone. They took that ugly thing out of there and you coughed up some of that gunk you have been complaining about. Your mommy and I were SOOOO happy to see your beautiful little face and your perfect little smile (well it wasn't exactly a smile but it looked like a smile to us). We took a lot of pictures of your new look and sent them to everyone we know because we were so excited and you looked so good.
Then Grandma came up for a visit and got to join in on playtime. Sneaky Grandma was able to smuggle a birthday cake in for your one week birthday and the three of us sang to you. Now I know you can't eat the cake yet but Mommy promises to eat it so you can have a cake flavored milkshake in a few days. Grandma also brought you a present for your special day..... a monkey. We haven't thought of a good name for him yet but we were thinking of naming him Nelson after one of your favorite doctors. I hope you enjoyed your birthday party because once again you lifted our spirits and recharged our strength in a matter of minutes. You are truly amazing Connor.
It wasn't too long after that little birthday celebration that we had the "lose our stomachs" part of the ride for the day. The doctors had been watching all your numbers while you were off that vent and they were never quite happy with them. Well right around six o'clock they came in and told us that they were going to have to put that nasty tube back down your throat and your mommy and I were pretty sad. Luckily you were still just chugging along like a champ when they asked us to leave the room so they could get you ready. Mommy and I waited down in the family waiting room with Grandma while they got you all ready. We thought it would take just a minute, but as usual you had other plans.
After an hour your mommy and I were leaking some of that love for you again. We were a little bit worried. Finally they came back in to get us and tell us that you were doing well and resting peacefully. Grandma was nice enough to come back to the room and wait with you while mommy and I got something to eat for the first time today. When we got back from our little dinner date (it wasn't too romantic but mommy and I were happy to have that time together so extra thank you to Grandma) you were still sleeping and Grandma was headed home. Now we are all sitting together in your room watching some Texas football (we are going to do this a lot little man, I hope you like it) and getting ready to try and rest.
Speaking of rest I think its time for some of that for all of us. Sweet dreams buddy, think about some of the presents you are gonna want when we get to really have your birthday party.
We love you Connor.
- Mommy and Daddy
1 comment:
Connor, I'm fairly certain your mommy & daddy's wedding song is (& was) When You Say Nothing At All. Well on my way to work today that song came on the radio and I thought about your parents, those lyrics, and you. I know your parents say you teach them more and more each day and the lyrics in that song remind me about how much they teach and know you too. Here is a part that I think holds true to you now and as you grow.
"The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall
You say it best when you say nothing at all."
Your mommy & daddy know you well - better than anyone else! Keep smiling and keep showing them that love that you do with your beautiful blue eyes I keep hearing about!
Love & Kisses, Stephy
Post a Comment