Friday, December 7, 2012

GF already?...

Connor,

Hey there little buddy, daddy here. I have a few minutes of free time while mommy goes and makes your milkshake so I thought "what better way to spend it than write little man a note". I know, its not a novel idea, or anything I could even call a little bit imaginative seeing as the computer was already on my lap and you are about 4 feet away from me right now. But sometimes its the simple things that mean the most, the ones that we expect to happen, the ones that we become accustomed to. So maybe this note will be one of those things, or maybe all of them are.

Today has been pretty quiet. In fact, it has been one of those days where you were so quiet that by the time daddy got here to see you mommy was a little bit concerned about how quiet you had been. You had slept all day long and with the brief exception of a few checks here and there by your nurses you were quite content with staying asleep, at least for a while. We did notice that you were breathing a little bit harder than normal and everyone who saw you thought you looked a bit swollen, but not in the normal places, all over.

So of course mommy and daddy and grandma decided to put on our doctor hats and diagnose you with whatever condition we had in our brains at the time, probably from an episode of House or Bones or some random comment from one of the doctors around here. But despite the fact that outside of mommy's experience as a PT (which I am in NO WAY downplaying because that experience has been so very helpful through these last several months) we had no medical training in cardiology, pulmonology, endocrinology, or any of the other important -ology's we were certain we could decipher your symptoms and tell the nurse how to make you better.

As you can imagine that didn't really solve any problems. Since we couldn't help at the time we decided it was lunch time and daddy went to see his good friend Theo (who says hi by the way) and mommy got to have lunch with Grandma and auntie Beth. They wanted to stop and see you too. But after lunch you had some plans for excitement. You woke up, got a little rambunctious and then played with your auntie Beth for quite a while. Its actually kind of cool to see the two of you hang out because you two seem to have some kind of connection. And if I didn't know any better I would say that little Connor has his first crush.....
 Watch out uncle Scooter! That is you staring all "gaga eyed" at auntie Beth, hanging on her every word and movement. You were making some good headway with her too, until you made a dire mistake so early in a relationship.... You might have decided to cough and cough and then spew some yellow stuff out of both ends. It wasn't your proudest moment but that is just part of growing up so don't worry too much about it. I think the only thing that really scared her was when you got mad and turned a little purple and daddy had to ask for the nurse. But she got over that too and was back to playing with you shortly after your episode was over and you were all cleaned up. Maybe just wait a little longer before sharing so much with one of your crushes next time.

After a little while you calmed back down and slept like a... well like a baby. You were zonked after all the excitement and all the playing. And as it turned out the main reason you were looking so different to mommy and daddy today was because you needed a little episode to get things all cleaned out and back on track. So for once maybe your little episode did more good than bad, maybe. And I mean a BIG maybe so don't get any ideas.

So since you are so social right now mommy and daddy are going to go get some dinner downstairs at the most amazing five star restaurant in Cincinnati Children's. It may not be gourmet but we are thankful for it because it allows us to stay close to you on the days when we need it (I think there are more days where we need to be close than there are where you need us close but perhaps that is just parenting). So enjoy your nap, I'm sure as soon as we get ready to go get some rest ourselves you are going to wake up and want to party. Its almost like clockwork lately, but we will take it because partying with you is way better than sleep anyway.

I'll talk to you again soon little man.

I love you Connor.

- Daddy

No comments: