Friday, November 2, 2012

Due date

Hello Connor,

Hard to imagine that today is finally your actual due date.  I guess you're like your daddy and didn't want to be late but I think 5 weeks early may have been a little excessive.  I can't imagine how big you would have been if you had 5 more weeks to grow in mommy's belly (and I'm not sure I want to think about what that would have meant for your delivery).  I also can't imagine what life would have been like the past 5 weeks without you here.  Just think how much you have taught daddy and I before you were even suppose to be here not to mention how much you have already accomplished. You're a pretty amazing little guy.  

Today has been a good and productive day.  You got the last of your three chest tubes out and as of now you're not getting anything in your IV.  You're back to only eating milkshakes and not that other yucky stuff.  Also you got rid of that big oxygen sensor from your forehead tonight.  I know that had to be annoying.  Plus they keep lowering the settings on your breathing machine to make your little lungs do more and more of the work.  The next big step we have to conquer is getting that pesky breathing tube out.  Dr. Morales wants it out yesterday but there has been a bit of disagreement as to if we have to wait for your nose surgery or not.  

It seemed the ENT department had fallen off the face of the earth the past few days but with a few friendly calls from Dr. Morales and your cardiologists the ENT fellow showed up today.  You are finally on the books for Tuesday to have your little nose fixed.  The ENT said this procedure should be a "walk in the park" compared to what you've already been through so don't get too worried about this one little guy.  Just think how nice it's going to be for you to be able to breath through both nostrils.  Plus that means you'll be able to blow snot bubbles out both sides of your nose instead of just one!

It has been great to see you awake some today and actually pretty content most of the time.  You have gotten a little upset here and there but not as angry as the few days before. We do however still need to talk about laying on your right side.  I promise it is not the end of the world to face the right.  Mommy and daddy won't let anyone sneak in your room without you seeing them coming.  I promise laying on your right now is going to be a lot better than all the stretching we're going to have to do to undo your love of laying on the left side.  All of the nurses and therapists can't believe how strong you are to undo their fancy positioning and barricades to try and keep you on your right. As the therapists say (and mommy agrees) we can fix tight muscles, it's not the end of the world.  You know what you like and you're not giving in, that's for sure.

It's amazing how much you have changed mommy's life in the past five weeks.  Although this experience has not been anything like mommy pictured having a baby would be she wouldn't change anything because she wouldn't have you.  Connor, I love you with all of my heart and I am so thankful to call you my son.


I love you little man,
Mommy


No comments: