Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Never boring...

Hey there Buster,

Yes, it has happened again. I am forced to start one of these notes with the name "Buster" because you have been a little bit of a stinker again. I actually don't think its you being a stinker, I think its just you adjusting to the whole world changing around you but sometimes it sure does seem like you are being a stinker. Either way though, you threw daddy's heart into an irregular rhythm twice this afternoon, and once you might have managed to upset your nurse just a tad too so I think you qualify for "Buster" today.

Lets start with some of the more positive notes from the day thus far. First of all you are looking dashing as usual, but even more so with a smaller nasal cannula in your nose today. Not only is it smaller but it seems to be much less of an irritation for you than the other one you had as well. Now the reason you have the smaller one today is because you are no longer on your high flow respiratory support, which is AWESOME. I know, I know, I can't get too excited yet because we have to get through a few days before we can really call anything progress lately, but this is a pretty big step for you and mommy and daddy sure are proud.

The other good news tied to that smaller cannula is that you are back on milkshakes, FINALLY. I know its been a while but you seem to be pretty happy that they are putting a little bit of mommy's love in your belly today. They actually just upped the amount about five minutes ago and are hoping to have you back up to full go by the end of the day tomorrow if I heard correctly. That means you are going to start growing again and I know you are excited about that. And even if you aren't, I sure am and I'll make up for your lack of excitement. I can't wait for you to get a little bit bigger so we can use your bouncy seat and your clothes and your boppy (12 months ago I wouldn't have known that word) and all the other stuff you have waiting for you. Not to mention the bigger you get and the older you get the closer we get to holding you more and playing with you more and eventually taking you home.

And since you are going to start growing so much the staff here decided to make another change today as well, you got a new bed. Not just any old bed but a big bed, one with plenty of room for your wiggly shenanigans. This is kind of a big step because it means we can get closer to you and hold you more and we can hopefully get you rolling around in there before long. I know PT and OT are looking forward to getting you up and moving more which means mommy will be chomping at the bit to get you up and around. She did tell me earlier that your bed is so big that she just wanted to hop in there with you and cuddle so watch out, you may have a nap partner soon.
Do you recognize that blanket you are lying on? You may not but I know mommy will because it was one that she used when we first got here (she had to cover up when she was making your milkshakes and the nurses gave her that blanket to help). But that wasn't the blanket you had on your bed earlier today, it wasn't even the one that was on your bed when mommy went out with auntie Beth a little bit ago. No no, you had to get a new one after you decided to make a mess of your entire bed when the nurse tried to cath you earlier. I can't say I blame you, I would try to fight back too, but that was quite a mess little man, and I think your nurse might have been a little bit upset with you. Good news for you is that she thinks you are adorable (like pretty much every nurse in this place) so she didn't stay mad for long.

The other little bit of shenanigans you pulled earlier was associated with what I will call your mammoth booger. I was sitting down on the other side of the room reading an email when I looked up and saw you in full wiggle mode, arms and legs all over the place. I got up to check on you and you had somehow managed to get your oxygen monitor to stop reading and you were so upset you were turning purple. I did the usual and suctioned your mouth and tried to calm you down with patting and talking and every other trick in the repertoire but you weren't having it. You were P.O.'d as your Gigi used to say.

So after a miniature heart attack daddy got the nurse and told her you were freaking out and wouldn't calm down. Now of course she was in another room in the middle of something (thankfully it wasn't something important) and I had to drag her in to check on you. We had been back in the room for about two seconds when you sneezed and blew a booger the size of a marble out of your nose. Right past the cannula and out onto your lip. It was pretty gross but before we could even get it cleaned up you were back asleep and calm as can be. Here I want to note that since beginning this paragraph you have now done the same thing again. Thanks buddy, its better than coffee for waking me up.

But now that you are quiet again I am going to go try and slow down MY heart rate and breathe a little more. I hope you keep on sleeping and get back to that business of growing. Rest well little man, mommy and I are awfully proud of all the big steps you are taking and how well you are doing with your world changing all the time. Sweet dreams.

We love you Connor.

- Daddy

No comments: