Friday, November 16, 2012

Rest up...

Good Morning Connor,

Hey there Bubba (that is a name I'll let your uncle Sebastian tell you about tomorrow when he and aunt Alexa come visit you) I just wanted to write you a note this morning while we enjoy some daddy and Connor time. We haven't had nearly as much of that lately because I have had to go run some errands in the mornings as I attempt to get us ready for life after we get you out of here. I promise I won't let that interfere with our time, we just might have to move it around a little bit here and there. It may not always be in the mornings but I promise it will always be there.

Today I think maybe we are going to talk a little philosophically. "Good Morning" is something that we all say to people in the hours before noon, its widely accepted as a greeting to anyone you may encounter. If I remember correctly it began as a wish from one person to another. "A good morning to you" is most likely how it started before our fast paced society and assumed need for timeliness and efficiency shortened it to the two words you will hear every day.

Here is where I think a lot of people have forgotten exactly what it is supposed to mean when someone says "Good Morning" to another person. Unfortunately it has become only a greeting, a way to start a conversation or acknowledge someone's presence. The spirit of the phrase has been lost in translation as they say. I am certain I am as guilty of this as any other human being walking around, it has become a habit, a social norm. Well I want you to know that when I tell you "Good Morning" it means "I hope you are having and will have a good morning".

And you know what? I am going to try and work on that with everyone else too. Maybe that will be another one of those things that you can teach me and we can work on together when you get a little bigger? Maybe if that's the way we do it from the beginning it will just be the "normal way" for you? Well we can certainly try anyway, but I am betting you can do it.

So I mentioned earlier that tomorrow you are going to have a few visitors. Your Pappaw is bringing your uncle Sebastian and aunt Alexa up so that they can come meet you. They have traveled a long way and put in  lots of hours to be able to come here because you are pretty special to them and they want you to know that. Today they are down in Kentucky visiting your Mammaw and I'm sure she is going to be telling some stories on your daddy and your uncle, probably the kind that we don't really want anyone else to hear. But then again that is one part of what Mammaw's do.

I am not sure what time they will get here tomorrow but I'm guessing it will be on Pappaw's schedule so somewhere around nine or ten in the morning. We can practice our "Good Morning"s to them that way. ;-) And I think they are planning to spend most of the day up here, just hanging out with us and most likely ogling at you. Can't say I blame them though, you are pretty darn cute, especially when you are awake and making those faces of yours. Which means, if you are up for it, you will probably get the chance to do a lot of playing tomorrow.

And that brings us back to the point here, "rest up". I know that yesterday was a long day for you, and believe it or not the day before was probably even longer, so lets just take today and chill out. Normally we do that on our "lazy Sunday" but perhaps this week calls for a lazy Friday too. Fortunately for us there are no rules regarding such things and we can kind of wiggle around the days when we need to. So rest up baby boy, get yourself all geared up for a fun day tomorrow and some fresh new faces.

I love you Connor.

- Daddy

No comments: