Hey Connor,
That raucous laughter you hear in the background isn't the crew from a naval vessel telling dirty jokes, its your nurses discussing how tired they get when they work too late. Apparently lack of sleep and added stress of little guys with "episodes" makes people giggle about all sorts of things. Its good though, I like it that you are getting to hear some happy noises right now instead of just beeps and alarms and that crazy fan that is always going in your room. Happy noises are part of life too you know, a big part, and they keep us going even when we are having a rough day (or two). So lets hope they keep laughing.
You may recognize one of those voices too, you have been hearing it all day long and it has been telling you it wants to just "eat your chin up". She said the same thing the day you arrived here at Children's. That's right, you got to have Megan all to yourself today you lucky guy. She took extra special care of you and she was talking to you all day long. She just kept saying how good you look and how happy she is you are still flying solo, no tubes attached. I think maybe you made an impression on her with that big entrance of yours 8 weeks ago.
Which, by the way, means today is your eight week birthday so HAPPY BIRTHDAY buddy boy. I promise we will make up for the lack of cake when you get older. It may be in the form of cupcakes since mommy makes the best cupcakes in the world (not just my opinion, she actually had a following when we lived in Texas) but trust me, there will be cake. There will probably be presents too, lots and lots of presents if I know your grandparents and your mommy's friends. But lets not get ahead of ourselves, we gotta get out of here first.
There isn't a ton of news from today so this won't be one of those notes that rambles on and on about this doctor saying this and that doctor saying that. And, as we are learning again, no news is good news right now. You had a quiet morning with daddy, no songs or play time today since you were sleeping but we still pseudo-cuddled with me putting my hands around you and rubbing your little head. I know its not the same as picking you up but with that crazy CPAP mask it was the best I could do.
Your doctors didn't round until after twelve today but when they did there wasn't much to say. You are holding steady and breathing on your own just like you should with no major hiccups. They talked about your numbers for a minute and they decided to give you a little blood but all in all the sentiment was "lets wait until Monday and see what we can find out". Dr. Nelson put it best when he said we spend most of our time here gathering information and the rest of the time acting on it. For right now they need to keep gathering until they can figure out what is behind your little lung issues lately. Don't worry though, he says they're on it.
Your Grandma came up today to spend some time with you so that mommy could have lunch with her friend Lisa (she's a nurse too) and daddy could go run some errands. She came up and played with you and helped calm you down a few times when you decided to get fussy, turns out she is pretty good at that with her patting and whispering. Go Grandma. So while she was here mommy went and had lunch with her friend and when those two are together there are always smiles. Sometimes a few tears but ALWAYS smiles so that was a wonderful treat for mommy today.
While daddy was out I had to get some shots in my arms. Now I will tell you that I'm not much of a tough guy when it comes to shots, even if they are little ones. It has only been in the last few years that I have gotten to the point that I can watch them poke me, before that it was close my eyes and try to count my breaths until its over. Pretty ridiculous I know, but after being in here with you I found that today was much easier. All I had to do was think about all the stuff you have been through and those needles seemed much less terrifying. Thank you for that little man, thirty years of trying and all it took was you to get me over that fear of needles.
But once mommy and daddy were back you decided it was time for a little bit of a shake up, we wouldn't want to get too comfortable after all. Luckily today's mini-episode wasn't very long (hence the mini tag) but it was still a little bit scary, scary enough to keep mommy and daddy here to watch the Notre Dame game tonight (Go Irish!). We went to check on you and all the sudden you were really swollen and really upset and really not breathing well with that CPAP machine. Luckily Megan was here and she got that thing off of you so your little face could have a break and then told the doctors what they needed to do to make you better. They kind of chuckled at her barking orders but you better believe they listened and her plan worked, you were calm shortly afterward and the swelling is going away already. Thanks again Megan.
Part of her plan, along with giving you some more of your "peepee medicine" (I think that was Megan's term for it....), was to get you off the CPAP machine completely. So you know what that means right? NO MORE MASK! WOO HOO!. I don't know who was more excited about that thing being taken to the other side of the room, you or mommy and daddy, but everyone agrees you are doing much better without it. The high flow cannulas are still there (not quite free yet) but they are way less annoying and you don't really seem to mind them much. AND, the best part is your blood gas numbers are actually BETTER with the high flow. Makes for a good case to leave you on that for now and let you rest tonight.
With that thought in mind I am going to wrap up here and hopefully you will get some sleep and plenty of rest and have a completely uneventful night. You look really happy and peaceful right now and that is what we are going for, keep it up.
But if you do wake up we can watch the Irish beat up on USC tonight, I'll get your hat ready in case. :-)
I love you Connor.
- Daddy
No comments:
Post a Comment